Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Double Spacing Issue

I work for a donor program in Serbia and today we were instructed to always use two spaces between sentences in official documents. As trivial as it may sound, after doing a little research, I found that there has actually been a somewhat heated debate about spacing after terminal punctuations (., ! and ?). While some argue that it's an unnecessary pain and a mistaken remnant of the typewriter days, others feel that it increases readability and provides a needed break between sentences to readers. Personally, I am just annoyed that I will have to keep in mind to hit the space tab twice after each official sentence I write for work. Moreover, does this mean that I am not allowed to justify my right hand borders as that sometimes automatically spaces words?

Considering how irritating correcting single spaces must be to whoever may proofread what I wrote, I decided I'd put in the extra effort. Still, I find it difficult to accept that this is even an issue...

No comments:

Post a Comment